Sunday, February 28, 2010

So, I have been trying my darnest to keep my kids' rooms clean. Nothing seems to be working! A few weekends ago I managed to get Luke and Sarah's room in tip top shape... and then a tornado hit! I don't even know how they can get that much stuff out in such a short period of time. I was, needless to say, very annoyed and feeling a little sorry of myself. Then it hit me--my kids' rooms are a mess all the time (along with the rest of the house) because they play! All four of them. All the time. Sure, they get computer and wii and DS turns. Sure, they watch too much television (by my standards, anyway). Sure, they have school and homework and paper routes. But they also play the heck out of this house.

Just today, they cleaned the living room (okay, that was my idea, but at least they did it!) and then pulled out the train track set. I haven't seen that thing in action in months. They all worked together to build an elaborate set with a town. They created this whole make-believe world and ended up playing for hours. I even got a nap on the couch. It was awesome. And here's the best part... They cleaned it all up when they were done. Without whining.

So, I am still going to work on cleaning up the puzzle pieces and the polly pockets and the rescue heroes and the legos and the headless barbies and the dress-up clothes and the markers and the matchbox cars and the.... You get the idea. But I am also going to take a breath and really enjoy this time I have with my children. This time of magic and wonder and messes. When they are all still young enough to pull out every toy in sight and play the days away.

And besides... Summer is right around the corner.... All the toys will be buried out in the sand pit in no time!

4 comments:

  1. Your such a good mom. Did I say good? I meant GREAT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read somewhere that kids that grow up in a slightly messy house (messy, not dirty) have better imaginations and are more creative thinkers. At least I think I read that. Maybe I made it up. Anyway, I like the sound of it.

    It gives me an excuse to relax a little when the kids wreck the place 30 seconds after I cleaned it.

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! So slightly messy=creativity... What about unidentifiable, weird smells? What does that illicit from children?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heightened sensory perception?

    ReplyDelete