Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Gratitude

I have so many things for which to be grateful. I am very good at complaining. Just yesterday Rick was trying to solve one of my many problems. At one point I just told him that I would be willing to stop complaining to him about that particular problem, but that I will continue to complain about it. I think he understood.

Despite my talent for bitching, I do have a lot of blessing. I recognize this. I thank God daily for all that I have. I hope my gratitude is apparent in the way I live my life. And I hope my children learn gratitude from their grouchy old mom.

Speaking of children, Luke is someone I am grateful for today. It amazes me each time I consider that my "baby" is nearly 5 years old! Where does the time go? Since he is not yet in school, I get extra time with him during the week. Today we went grocery shopping. I am inbetween funds this week, so we returned bottles to help pay for groceries. As usual, the bottle return machines were not working properly and there was a crazy (and that is my professional opinion, BTW) person ahead of us in line. It took nearly 30 minutes to get this project done and we only made $5... It doesn't seem worth most days! But Luke and I had fun singing and dancing. We made "friends" with a cooky (not quite crazy, but a little off) old fisherman while we waited for the girl to fix the machine three times!

While we were shopping, we passed by a local man I recognized. He is a rather large man who usually has an oxygen tank in his cart. He strikes me as someone who has never taken good care of himself and it shows in his appearance. He doesn't seem to be the friendliest, most open of persons, either. Well, when we wheeled our cart past him, Luke piped up, "That's a fat guy" or something similarly rude and embarrassing. I, of course, reminded Luke that such verbal observations are rude to share.

A little while later we wheeled past this tiny, old lady, at which point Luke observed, "Well she's a tiny, little shopper!" This kid brightens even my darkest days. He makes me smile even when he being a big pain the butt! I am grateful for my little Lukers!

I would like to add four other things for which I am grateful, but it's 8:59pm and I go home at 9pm. So, I am grateful to be getting off now... 2 outta 3 ain't bad... :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of a gratitude journal. I'm grateful for you.

    Wow. This is almost too easy! :)

    ReplyDelete