Friday, January 8, 2010

Well, I was all gung-ho to create this new blog, and now I'm struggling to find something to write! I have been thinking about following a project like the Julie and Julia that inspired me to re-enter the blogosphere. My current projects are parenting and weight loss... I know I'm the only one interested in most of the parenting project. And the weight loss thing can be so humiliating!

I joined weight watchers online almost a year ago. I have a specific weight goal in mind, but I am not on a diet. I am changing my lifestyle, so that the weight loss sticks for life. Back when my husband was in Iraq, I did the low carb thing. It was extremely effective. I got down below my pre-pregnancy weight from the first kid (um, that was 5 babies ago. That's a big deal). One of my brothers-in-law even noticed. But the low carb thing is not a lifestyle. I'm not even sure it's really a diet. I think it's a torture device left over from the cold war. When the soviet union was dismantled, the KGB sold torture secrets to stablize the economy and John Atkins was their highest bidder!

Low carb nutrition is just mean. Taking carbs out of a woman's life leaves nothing meaningful. Food just becomes something you consume to fuel your body. There's no passion. No love affair. And I know why it works, too. A person can only eat so much chicken and vegetables before just giving up on eating. Surprisingly, I was actually able to maintain the diet for about 9 months. But remember, people, my spouse was in another country. There is no possible way for a woman to remove carbs from her diet and live with a man without hurting him!

Anyway, my loss now is slow and steady. The line on my weight loss graph is more of a southward wave. Intellectually, I know this is what I signed up for, what I am consciously choosing and ultimately what I want. Without making drastic changes, and without sending my husband to the ER, I have been able to lose nearly 15 lbs. This seems so ridiculously puny when I consider that I have been at this for a year! But it's 15 lbs less than I weighed last January. And that's a hell of a lot better than 15 lbs heavier!!

It's my 20 year high school reunion this summer (I can hardly believe I actually typed that out. 20 years?! When am I gonna start feeling like an adult?) and I'd like to look fabulous... Or at least not be the fastest gal in my graduating class. I was five months pregnant with no. 3 at our 10 year. That was a nice distraction from the size of my butt. I have no excuse now, and I can't even hurry up and get pregnant. The darn bank's been closed for years.

I got a Wii Fit Plus for Christmas. Who would have thought that wiggling around on a big piece of plastic could make a lady so sore. That hula hoop thing is torture. I wonder if the Wii people got a deal at that KGB auction?

3 comments:

  1. Bren, you are such a funny and honest girl! I love reading your stuff as much as talking to you in person. O, and by the way, I heard that bank still takes deposits, just no withdrawals.
    ;o) ~Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration for me to keep going on my diet. It's so hard. I love the Wii, and yes, the hula hoop one is torture. At least it's a lot of fun, unless you have someone laughing at you for doing the hula hoop...AKA...KEVIN! Anyways, I'm glad you started a blog! It's a great way to put out your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Jessica! Talk about laughing... I had all four kids and my husband doing the hula hoop with me. They were all lined up in the living room twisting and gyrating... It was so funny I could hardy hula, I was laughing so hard!

    ReplyDelete